Finally, I get to watch this movie thanks to my beloved Xin Wei, who got free tickets!
My Review (spoilers included)
Basically, I thought this movie was.....pretty forgettable? Because I'm struggling to remember what I liked about it. Or maybe because I'm just not such a fan anymore. Seriously, once I lose interest in something or someone for that matter, everything that has anything to do with them instantly becomes forgettable.
Overall, it was pretty faithful to the book, similar or exact same dialogues as the book (I have read many other reviews before writing this and many have complained that the screenwriter is lazy? But since I read the book, being faithful to the book scores a lot of points for me). Eclipse was also slightly better than New Moon since it's plotline gives us that less screentime for Bella and more for others, which I liked. It was nice watching Rosalie and Jasper's story portrayed as well instead of just a bland "telling it by talking only". I liked the scenery they used for the movie. The meadow, mountains, aftermath of snowstorm, were all visually appealing to look at.
Acting-wise, don't get me started though. Robert was...I don't know, is it me, or do all British actors who do American roles talk in a weird sort of accent or voice? Like mumbling in what they think is a sexually titillating way but it actually just makes them look really stupid? Even Ed Westwick does that in Gossip Girl! But I thought he's better here, and anyway, it's not his fault at acting out so little facial expressions because his character is like that. Edward is serious, sombre and moody, eternally brooding, but only lightens up after he met Bella. And true, there is chemistry between him and Bella. I LOVED their proposal scene. You can really feel the love when she said yes. :) Kristen is, horrible. At first, I thought it was only because Bella is horrible (I cannot stand Bella personally, she's rather a lackluster heroine). But afterwards I notice, Kristen just brings herself into every role that she makes Bella worse. Honestly, she may be a great actress in other movies like Zathura, but apart from that, her way of talking, ugh. I see that in every trailer of her movies. She talks the same way, like she can't be bothered to talk properly. Hard time explaining here. Taylor Lautner was, perfect, as usual. Probably because Jacob does have more personality and is more interesting to watch. But I cannot see the chemistry between him and Kristen that was in New Moon. How can he tell that she feels something for him?! I certainly couldn't tell, even after she asked him to kiss her willingly. The other actors were alright, they didn't really get much screentime so I couldn't tell properly. Heck, the new werewolf Leah appeared so seldom, I can't remember her face now. And the werewolves were mostly in their wolf form, no talking to be done. The Cullens were awesome though. Loved Jasper and Alice! I could definitely feel their chemistry and love during every scene they appeared. Carlisle is cool, as always :D Bryce Dallas Howard as Victoria was pretty cool too, quite convincing as a revengeful, manipulating vampire.
Now, apparently Eclipse places a lot of hype on their action scenes, but seriously, all that action, is mostly CGI, what's so nice to watch about that? Everything moves so fast that it's a blur. But of course, werewolves and vampires are meant to move fast that way so I forgive them that. Just don't hope for a very adrenaline-induced action sequence. And the vampires, OMG, this particular thing started in New Moon so I don't blame the director for this. When the book described vampires "as cold as ice", which part states that they break like ice too?! Did NOT like those scenes where they just broke like statues, and Victoria's death, eww. And nothing's mentioned about what Seth did to Riley. Hello? He just died somewhere in the forest like that? After appearing so much in the beginning with the newborns?
Also, if you didn't read the book, you probably wouldn't understand some scenes. And why do people say the movie was slow? I thought it was pretty fast-paced, so much so that some parts just change scenes so quickly me and Xin Wei went "wah, so fast?" We both read the books, so yeah. Tent scene was a bit too slow though, when Edward and Jacob were having a guy-to-guy talk. Very gay also, but me likey gays =D
Most disapointing was the score though. I liked New Moon's score way much more. Howard Shore, you disappoint me! I know you composed a great Lord of the Rings score, but it doesn't mean you can just use similar themes for this movie! Music plays an important part in making the movie and emotions seem much more real for me, and this one just does not have any memorable score. In fact, some parts remind me of LOTR score, and now I know why, because as soon as I googled for Eclipse score, apparently it was YOU that composed it. Meh.
Conclusion, I did enjoy the movie, but probably not as much as I would had I been still a fan. And stooopid Malaysian censorship board censored that scene where Bella was seducing Edward to have sex with her! Hmph, maybe Kristen's acting would have made a better impression on me if I could see how convincing she was at being horny.
The Eyecandy



I'm very fair, 2 vampires and 2 werewolves.=D Jackson Rathbone (Jasper), Peter Facinelli (Carlisle), Kiowa Gordon (Embry) and Alex Meraz (Paul).P.S: ahhh, guys with large eyes and intense stare still always do it for me :D When will I meet a guy in real life like that?
My favourite Eclipse soundtrack (it's not even by Howard Shore, but it played during the proposal scene, very fairytale-like and romantic)
You came thoughtfully, loved me faithfully
You taught me honor, you did it for me

No comments:
Post a Comment