Tuesday, September 14, 2010

of what to come

Today, my dad wrote me a letter. Well, typed out is probably more accurate, and he e-mailed it to me. And I couldn’t stop crying after I read it. Not that he wrote any kind of mushy stuff but words of advice to guide me through life. And this marks the finality of me leaving home, on to a new place, to broaden my experiences and grow and mature more as a person. It’s not like I’m never coming back, but if I do, it’ll be different.
 I won’t be the girl who sleeps under this roof as a teenager anymore, I’ll be an adult. I won’t be the girl who still makes studies her priority in life but rather her job (although studying is a lifelong process, but you get my drift). And also he wishes for me as a person, to be more successful than he was, and to always look out for my mother and sister. This I promise him. Funnily enough, his tips on how to be successful in life include advice on handling my studies, work and friends, but not love (ahem, I guess daddies would always want to think of their daughters as their little girls, haha)

Cleaning out my drawer of personal items also reminded me of the many possessions I have over the years, especially birthday cards. In this world of digital age, photos on the computer or internet server can outlast the cards themselves hence I took photos of some of the many cards I’ve received. And presents. I also realized I can’t bring these over with me, so I really hope my mom won’t throw them out *gulp*.


pressies and cards from wen jo, christine and ching fang (somehow, my jb friend's gifts always seem more creative XD; christine gave me an autograph book filled with birthday wishes from our many other friends and ching fang gave me post cards wishing me happy birthday for my future birthdays, so oh well, doesn't matter if she doesn't wish anymore because technically she already did!); meow card from mei chen, all the way from edinburgh! and bottle of stars from xin wei + cookie monster bracelet from lynn
course, i didn't take pictures of every single present i've ever gotten over the years, hehe, so don't be offended if you've ever given me something and i didn't take a picture of it and posted it; it's locked safe in my memory :D






Sigh, the impending date of my flight seems to mark a new epoch in my life. It’s not like I’ve never stayed on my own before outside my parents’ house (remember that 6 months in Subang?) but then, I could phone them whenever I want to without thinking of the cost, and they were only 4 hours (when they were in JB) and then 30 minutes (when they moved back) away from me. Now they’re going to be thousands of miles and several hours away from me. But, I’m an optimist J I have to stay on my own for my own good, learn how to be independent and how to care for myself, before I can start to care for others. My parents gave me 20 years of their life to see me grow as an independent, mature adult; I can’t and won’t let them down.

Time has come, let us be brave. – The Weight of Us

P.S: ok, so i actually wrote this on 9th of September, but i havn't transferred the pics yet, hence didn't post...

No comments:

Post a Comment